Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Turning One… A Few Weeks Late

I guess this is just a product of having a child in December, but I can’t believe I haven’t posted about the infamous first birthday!

As many of you already know, the weekend was far busier than just a birthday party. One of my very best friends (we met in preschool at age 2) got married Saturday night, and as a member of the wedding party, I had lots of commitments starting Friday afternoon! Saylen’s party was Sunday morning, but thank goodness it was at the studio (where I work) so at least I didn’t have to clean the house.

As previously mentioned, the theme for the party was “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” story – if you don’t own it, go buy it right now, we love it! I did a lot of prep ahead of time, and had help from my parents and in-laws… and everything went off perfectly.

Here are the details…

DSC00051

DSC00699

I made the goody bags with all things related to the party, and used them as décor throughout – like above as  table centerpieces.

DSC00689

DSC00695

One of the ideas we had early on was to serve all the food that the caterpillar ate in the story. This made menu planning super easy! I read a lot of creative ideas on various blogs as to how to display the food, but in the end I just made tags that had the line from the story that corresponded with the food.

DSC00698

I also made this giant caterpillar to display Saylen’s monthly pictures. This was so fun for everyone to see how much he had grown!!

There was lots of playing and of course the opening of presents!

DSC00803

DSC00805

This picture pretty much sums up the cake experience. He had NO clue what to do, and wasn’t very interested in figuring it out. With a little encouragement, and a fork, he realized how amazing chocolate cake really is!

DSC00807

DSC00827

At the end of the day we were completely exhausted, but it was all worth it! We had everyone leave a fingerprint picture for Saylen on a pillowcase, so he will have something to remember his first birthday by forever. It turned out really cool!!

DSC00933

I can’t believe our little man is ONE!!! Time has gone by way too fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment